School Direct ‚Äď Salaried and Training Route
Applicants for School Direct must have the following educational qualifications:
- An honours degree (2.1 or above preferred; 2.2 accepted with other relevant experience or higher qualification) or equivalent.
- For secondary trainees at least 50% must be in the teaching subject.
- GCSE Grade C or above in English and mathematics.
- Primary trainees must also have GCSE grade C or above in Science.
- Primary with Maths must also have A levels grade C or above in Mathematics.
- Original certificates will need to be shown at interview.
If your degree subject does not link closely to your chosen teaching subject,¬†we would advise you to speak to the Get into Teaching line about¬†subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) courses (link is external)¬†before applying for teacher training: call free on 0800 389 2500.
If the qualifications have been taken abroad then these need to be verified by NARIC before applying for the programme.¬†Visit NARIC for more information¬†or call +44(0)870 990 4088. This can take some time, so we would advise you¬†to start the process before you submit your application.
For anyone currently working on a first degree it will be necessary to show evidence of the end date and of grades allocated at the time of any interview. Degrees must be successfully completed before starting the programme and any offers of places will be provisional on that outcome.
The School Direct (salaried) programme is directed at applicants with three years, or more, career experience.
Skills test in literacy and numeracy need to be passed before commencing the programme.